Soil testing: the dirt on doing it right.
When it comes to knowing the health of your soil, you have to dig deep—with professional soil analysis, that is.
Soil testing offers important information about a soil’s properties, including its texture, chemistry, density, structure, biology, pH, and the relationship between soil’s various layers. This data can tell you if the soil is degraded, contaminated or compromised–crucial information during site evaluation.
Torrent is the region’s premier environmental testing laboratory. We offer a variety of soil testing services, such as soil vapor testing, PAH (Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons) detection, pesticide detection and metal detection.
The first step in soil testing and analysis is obtaining a soil sample the right way. We’re here to help with a step-by-step guide.
How to complete a soil test the right way.
The tools to complete a soil test are easily obtained. They include:
- Shovel, auger or trowel
- Plastic bucket
- Plastic sample bags (ask us about our testing supplies, including sample bags!)
- After you’ve assembled your tools, assess your site for variations in soil color, ground cover, plant health, soil density, etc.
- Take three to five samples of soil from areas with these variations. Separate the samples into different buckets.
- Take one to two samples per 100 square feet where you note soil differences, or one to two samples every 3,000 to 5,000 feet in areas without significant soil disturbance or differences.
- To extract a sample, remove ground cover then use your shovel, trowel or auger to loosen dirt.
- If the soil changes color as you dig, extract a sample of each color. (If the upper layer changes color a few inches down, sample the next layer.)
- Fill in the holes so that the ground is completely smooth and level. You may need to augment with nearby soil or sand you brought. Sod may be repositioned by restoring the excised piece back into place and pressing on it.
- Break up clods and remove large roots and rocks from soil samples in buckets.
- Fill and close your sample bags.
- Get in touch with us about shipping your samples, dropping off samples at our office, or using a courier service.
The right soil testing lab. The right soil testing supplies. Right now.
Torrent has the highest certifications and most advanced capabilities in the region. We also offer the industry’s fastest turnaround times and supplies for easy, accurate soil sampling.
For a complete rundown of soil testing costs, location we serve, and how we can provide you with the right testing supplies, contact us today. And discover what sets us apart.
Service in more than name alone.
Our commitment to service shows in all that we do. In addition to delivering trusted results, our innovative, progressive laboratory offers a host of services, including:
- One-on-one technical support when you need it most
- Expert perspective on your project plan
- Flexibility to accommodate your needs
- Time! Torrent gives you extra time, which you’ll experience when you work with us